Faces of Gujarat.

Remember me writing about how I went to Gujarat for college craft clusters?
                                            Oh. You don't? Fine, lemme repeat, ufff. :P
NIFT is all about giving the students the opportunity to learn things outside college and make it more practical (giggles). Every 4rth semester student of theirs in the design department are sent to one cluster area to study the crafts and textiles of the area, for them to learn. For us, it was Surendranagar district of Gujarat.

These are few faces I captured and I believe is strong enough to stay in my mind for many moments to come.


This boy from the village of Somasar, who's family is engaged in the making of Patola, or Ikkat, brags standing first in school academically. When I asked what he'd want to become when he grows up, "An Engineer", he confidently beams.


Me and my group mates were just curiously peeping into houses in the village, when this girl steps out from one of the houses we left behind. Curiously she asked us what we wanted. We just wanted to know about the clothes she wore, she smiles embarrassed, and then posed. I'm not sure if it was for the camera, but she sure looked like pure beauty.



This lady we caught hold of, in a place near Wadhwan. She knew Hindi only as much as we knew Gujarati. Her warm kindness however had us bowled. She did carry a lot of her culture in her skin, covered or not.

I'm not sure how much we learned academically out of the trip, but we sure learnt one thing: Gujarat smiles.

Comments

Popular Posts